Simply, the difference between having the Holy Spirit and not is the difference between being saved and lost. If you’re in Christ, you have the Holy Spirit in His fullness. If you lack the Holy Spirit, you lack Christ and you’re still lost in your sins.
So how do you know if the Holy Spirit is within you? Look at the fruit of your life.
- Do you want to obey Jesus—and do you strive to do so? (Matt. 7:15-18)
- Do you love others—especially those who are unlovely? (Matt 5:43-48)
- Are you seeing increased evidence of the fruit of the Spirit in your life? (Gal. 5:22-23)
- Do you have a growing hatred of evil and love for what is good? (Rom. 12:9)
- Are you increasingly generous with your time, talents and treasure? (Matt 6:19-24)
- Are you increasingly aware of your own sinfulness and need of God’s grace? (1 Tim. 1:15-16)
What we all need to recognize is that apart from the Spirit’s work within us, the answer to all of these questions is going to be a resounding “no.” It’s impossible to do any of them without the Spirit at work, bringing life into what was dead. Examine the fruit of our lives and see what is revealed.